Tuesday 12 May 2015

The Jackalope

I just found a short children's story in one of my records and thought I'd chronicle it, now, so as to give a bit of a change of pace. I hope you enjoy it!

The first time I saw the Jackalope,
It was but a glint in my eye,
A shadow cast in front of the moon.



To search for it,
I decided to do,
Search for the Jackalope in the desert of home.

The first time I searched for the Jackalope,
I was but a lost child,
In the vastness of the sands.

But I kept going,
Searching for the fabled creature,
For the Jackalope of legend.

The first time I found the Jackalope,
It looked at me with deep black eyes,
And with pure white horns pointed forwards.

Its fur was brown,
As brown as the sands.
The Jackalope with ears attending.

The first time I brought home the Jackalope,
It was scared,
But calm it I did.

Feed it and clean it,
My mother demanded of me,
A little lost boy with a Jackalope friend.

The first time I cared for the Jackalope,
I learnt what it meant,
For when it is said that myths are fake.

My friend disappeared,
Into the night,
My Jackalope, gone, now but a glint once more.

The second time I saw the Jackalope,
It stared at me and I knew right then,
What it meant to be a friend.

To let it go,
Release it back to its home, like I must go,
Goodbye to my friend, my one true brother:

The Jackalope.

From ‘Childhood Adventures’ by Alex Juli, Children's Stories Writer.  Written in 1203 AH.

No comments:

Post a Comment