Wednesday 29 April 2015

The Legacy of O.U.T.L.A.W.S. No. 14 Lifegiver

The vines hung down over the door, untouched for generations. The sun struggled to break through the thick canopy of dark green leaves, leaving a dappled pattern upon the dirty ground. The trees themselves were ancient, some of the oldest on the Island, kept alive by the temple they hid. The Temple of the Everlaster. Immortal and ancient. Standing for evermore.

A twig cracked for the first time in centuries and the forest tensed, preparing for an intruder. The vines parted and the stone door creaked open. Five figures slipped in and the door started to fall shut. A sixth figure leaped from a tree and slipped through the ever closing gap. The door clicked closed and the forest relaxed and waited once more.
"Where is it, Exalndria?" whispered Fam once they were inside the Temple.
"In the center-most chamber," the lexarch whispered back, "INFOS will show us the way."
 The robot floated forwards and began to glow, illuminating the deep brown walls. Mosaics and other decorations covered the walls, floor and ceiling, detailing various events and members of the Ancient Tribes.
The team headed forwards, following INFOS along the corridor. Exalndria was at the back of the procession and Gedrick dropped behind to walk beside her.
"Well I think this would be as good a time as any to continue our chat," the dwarf started.
"Yes, well, I can explain," replied Exalndria, hastily.
"You'd better."
Exalndria nodded, "What would you like to know first?"
"What are the keys?"
"Ah, well I've been doing some research and I think they are something known as Chaos Keys."
"Which are?"
The lexarch nodded, "I was just getting onto that. From what I've found, there appears to be five of them and they each represent a facet of Chaos; so far, I believe I have found the Mind and Emotion Keys," she paused and Gedrick took it for a hesitation.
"So, if they're keys, what do they unlock?"
"I was about to tell you!" Exalndria snapped "Just let me finish and I'll explain! Don't you trust me?"
Gedrick stared at her for a moment before saying "We'll see. Carry on."
Exalndria nodded, and took a moment to retrace her train of thought "Right then. As I have said, the Chaos Keys are five keys that each represent a facet of Chaos. They are used to open the Chaotic Tomb and release Chaos into the world. It is my belief that the League of Hunters have been looking for and collecting these Keys ever since their formation during the Time of New Conquest."
"But why?"
"I suspect that they are trying to release Chaos from his tomb although I'm not completely sure why this is the case. Chaos is an ancient force, older even than the Originals - a being of untold power. What purpose he could serve once the League of Hunters released him - even if they could control him which I'm not sure is possible - I don't know."
They turned a corner and entered a small room that glowed with an ethereal light. Exalndria seemed to stop so Gedrick continued "Is that all you know?"
"Yes," the lexarch nodded.
"Are you sure?"
Exalndria thought for a moment and then nodded again, "Yes, I think so."
Gedrick slowed down, forcing Exalndria to do the same and increasing the gap between himself and Exalndria and the rest of the team. "I'm giving you a chance here, Exalndria. Think harder."
"But I've told you everything!" exclaimed Exalndria.
"Really?" asked Gedrick again, "Because you've not once mentioned why you've been collecting the Keys."
Exalndria stumbled, surprised "Well, isn't it obvious?"
"Perhaps, but go on anyway."
The technician sighed "Well, the League of Hunters want them and they're the bad guys so I thought I'd try and beat them to it."
"Did you ask Rick Rathe for permission to undertake this mission?"
"Hah!" scoffed Exalndria "Like you asked for permission to go on this mission?"
"We are trying to save a friend," Gedrick's voice rose slightly, "Your friend!"
"And I'm trying to save the world!" replied Exalndria, "So why am I wrong?"
Gedrick paused for a moment, looking straight ahead "Is there anything else? I just want to make sure you're safe, Exalndria, you've not been acting... right, recently."
Exalndria's tone was hard "No, that is all."
"Well, we all have our own choices. Just make sure they're the right ones," said Gedrick, before speeding up to catch up with Fam.
They had just entered another room, much like the previous one but slightly bigger and with a pedestal in the center. On the pedestal was a gold and jade amulet. An emerald glowed, softly, at the center.
"The Lifegiver Amulet," said INFOS, "One of the treasures of the Ancient Tribes... I'm quite surprised it's so easy to retrieve!..."
"Can I pick it up?" Fam asked Exalndria "Is it dangerous?"
Exalndria shook her head "It shouldn't be. The Ancient Tribes have been dead for millennia," she laughed, morbidly, "Ironic, given the object of our mission."
Fam nodded and reached out to pick up the amulet when bullet shot over her head.
"I wouldn't if I were you," said Jared Kyko, his weapon already transforming into one of burning flames. He ran forward, heading for Exalndria and readied his strike...

No comments:

Post a Comment